Previous Image

Up One Level

Waiting for our 'Heli-ride' Home

Image # 1D2_01681

Fox Glacier, New Zealand


Canon 28-70L/f2.8 at 34 mm

ISO 200, f/9, 1/250 second

Manual Metering



After perhaps 45 minutes or so, we got word that the fog had lifted enough that the helicopters would be able to fly in under it, and pick us up. The photo above gives some idea of the conditions, and the "window" the helicopters would have to utilize. They told us to get ourselves ready, put us in groups of 6 to prepare, and said that when the helicopters landed, to get aboard as quickly as possible, buckle our seat belts, so they could get us all of in the shortest amount of time. The short ride back was uneventful, and we were all quite glad that we didn't get a free overnight stay on Fox Glacier.

Interestingly, when we were making our initial inquiries about the Heli-hike, we were told that there was always a chance of a trip being cancelled at the last minute, if they didn't feel that conditions were sufficiently favorable. At the time, I wondered about what would happen if initially favorable conditions turned unfavorable once we were on the glacier, but I didn't say or ask anything about that. Guess I almost found out the answer the hard way.